Log Summary – this section displays all of the major properties in each log file. Double-click to get more details like Intel PCI Serial Port Driver Updater the events for the viewed log. Discover tips & tricks, check out new feature releases and more. Usually, all apps should log events in this database, but it’s not always true for many third-party applications. This event level denotes the severity or seriousness of any issues noted in the logs. The default view of the list below is by acuity.
- When set to true, the input excludes the keywords field from events and throughput performance improves.
- Click “Scan Drive” to perform the scan again or “Repair Drive” to have your computer fix the errors.
- The name will likely be different depending on your hard drive.
- If you further want to improve your hard drives’ performance and soundness, check out how to run Disk Cleanup in Windows 11.
In the Repair your computer menu, select Troubleshoot. This will open a new window with a variety of system recovery options. The way to do this may vary depending on what kind of computer you have. If you’re not sure how to reboot from a disk, check the manual that came with your computer and follow the instructions there. Use this option if you can’t boot up your computer.
A Disk Read Error Occurred in Windows 10/8/7 FAQs
The crash logs provide information such as general details of the crash, its source, EventID, level, log name, etc. Microsoft Windows runs Event Log Service to manage event logs, configure event publishing, and perform operations on the logs. Windows Event Log service exposes a special API, which allows applications to maintain and manage event logs. The Event Viewer keeps a record of application and system messages on a Windows 10 PC. The program logs every action taken while working on a computer.
Right-click the partition on the hard drive without a drive letter and select the Change Drive Letter and Paths option. On Windows 10, when the hard drive is online and initialized and does not appear in the system, there could be two reasons. Or if it was connected to another computer, and the new system is now trying to assign the same drive letter already assigned to another drive on the machine. Once you complete the steps, the hard drive will be imported, and the data will be accessible from File Explorer or any other application. To update your device drivers, you can visit the manufacture’s official website to find exactly the right the driver online, download it and install it step by step. You’ll need some computer skills and patience to update your drivers this way.
Solution 4 – Initialize Disk
Your hardware may be perfectly fine, but the software faulty. Do what your PC is asking for—press Ctrl + Alt + Delete or restart the computer. If PC still can’t boot properly, follow the steps below. If your Steam drive has defective sectors, you can get a disk write error when playing Steam, Origin, or other games.
1) Press the Windows logo key and E together to open Windows File Explorer. I’ve added a section at the end of the document to create a Event Viewer Custom View so that all chkdsk logs can be viewed simply with one click. This useful trick can also be performed in Windows 8 and Windows 7.